Create additional Quip sites for secure partner collaboration (Partner Sites) or non-production testing (Testing Sites): Admins can now use the Managed Sites feature to enable and manage two key workflows right from the Quip Admin Console. 1) Spin up a Partner Site and provision Quip access for your vendors to collaborate with your employees, and retain ownership and control of all content. 2) If you’re looking for a blank space to test out templates or site configuration options, just create a new Testing Site and provision a few users for testing. And, to help clarify these new types of site relationships, we’ve added two new types of user badges in the app: blue badges represent Partner Site relationships, and green badges represent Testing Site relationships. Check out full details on the admin experience, sharing controls and user badges here. For Quip Enterprise and Quip for Salesforce.
Filter the list of document/folder members by type: Now when you click the red External badge next to the title of your document or folder, the Share dialog opens and you can click “Manage” to see the full list of who has access. But rather than scrolling through the list to see who is an External member, who is a Partner Site member, and who is a Testing Site member, just use the new dropdown to filter the list by type, so you can easily know the audience of your document.
Capitalize headers your way: Previously, the smallest headings (H3s) were styled with all uppercase letters. For new documents (created on web; coming soon for apps), you can capitalize them as you’d like. H3s in existing documents will stay capitalized but can be updated per document from Document > Advanced > Uncapitalize Small Headings.
To bold or not to bold (checklist items): For new documents (created on web; coming soon for apps), checklist items with sub-items will no longer be automatically bolded. You can decide for yourself if you prefer to bold or not to bold.
Working with images: Images make documents shine. We’ve created a more natural experience to make it easier than ever before to insert, drag, arrange, and resize images in your documents.
Improved accessibility on Spreadsheets: We’ve made improvements for screenreader users on Spreadsheets. Our latest changes are listed below, but check out our full Accessibility Guide here.
- Options in the toolbar are all keyboard accessible
- Cell labels for: formulas, formula errors, formula helper text, filter headers, and merged cells
- “Skip to Content” button moves focus to cell A1
- Tab order fixes - you are now able to tab from the toolbar to the cell in focus
- Alt-F6 now goes to all different sections of the page including the sheet bar
- For spreadsheets embedded in a document, we now announce when you are entering a spreadsheet and when you are exiting a spreadsheet
Versions: Web, Windows 7.0.0, Mac 7.0.1, iOS 5.16.0, Android 7.0.0
Customize your sidebar buttons: A couple weeks ago, we launched our new customizable sidebar on web. Today, you can also access this feature on your desktop app. As a reminder, here’s what we said about it last time.
Ahem: “We all use Quip a little differently, and some of your sidebar buttons probably get used a lot more than other ones do. That’s why we’ve made it possible to customize which ones are in there, and in what order they appear. Just right click on the sidebar (or choose ‘Customize Sidebar’ from the account menu) and uncheck anything you don’t want to see. To reorder, just drag.”
Consistent chat experience: The chat icon has moved up in the sidebar and is now grouped with all the other icons. Also, your chats will now always be in a drawer. Combined with the customizable sidebar feature (see above), you can hide/reposition the chat icon as you wish.
Versions: Windows 5.15.2, Mac 5.5.49
- Farewell, old admin console: Last year, we launched an extensive redesign of the admin console (née Business Portal) that was, in every possible way, much better than what was there before. Even so, we kept a link to the old interface around, just in case anyone wanted to use it. Alas, its time on Earth has come to a close, and now we say goodnight to that scrappy little UI. You shall remain forever in our hearts.
Connect your Quip site to multiple Salesforce orgs: If you belong to multiple Salesforce orgs, you can connect your Quip site to any number of them. That means Salesforce integration features like Insert Report, Log a Call, and Document Record Linking will be available across all your connected orgs. You can manage all those connections either through your user profile (in the account menu, where your avatar is), or through the Share button on any Quip document.
Customize your sidebar: We all use Quip a little differently, and some of your sidebar buttons probably get used a lot more than other ones do. That’s why we’ve made it possible to customize which ones are in there, and in what order they appear. Just right click on the sidebar (or choose “Customize Sidebar” from the account menu) and uncheck anything you don’t want to see. To reorder, just drag.
Versions: Web, Windows 5.14.1, Mac 5.5.47
- Sign up to beta test Quip’s increased spreadsheet cell limit: If you add more cells to a spreadsheet than Quip can currently handle, you’ll get an option to request access to a beta test with a higher cell limit. You can also sign up by emailing our Support team (email@example.com). (Thanks, by the way. We truly appreciate your help, and lots of other Quip users will too.)
- Custom List Numbering: Start a list with any number you want. Just click on the dropdown menu to the right of any numbered list and select “Numbering....” You can choose a specific number, or you can have the numbering automatically pick up from wherever the previous list in the document left off. Good for lists that are separated by images, spreadsheets, etc.
- Drag List Items to Rearrange: Drag numbered and bulleted list items up and down to rearrange them. You can even drag them from one list to another. Extremely convenient stuff.
- Connect Quip to Salesforce Faster: We’ve cut down the number of steps to connect Quip to Salesforce—gone are the days of setting up your own OAuth Provider, external data source, and permission sets. Now users can log in to Quip with their Salesforce credentials—no need to remember two different logins and passwords. Available for Quip for Salesforce.
- Add Quip Documents and Spreadsheets to Salesforce Records: Bring Quip documents, spreadsheets, and chat rooms directly into your Lightning apps with the Quip Document component. Your users get familiar Quip features like rich text editing, live updates, comments, and @mentions without leaving Salesforce. Create Quip templates to streamline your team’s workflows. Available for Quip for Salesforce
- Stay Up-to-Date with Quip Documents on Mobile: Keep your users productive and in the know no matter where they go with the Quip Document component. Add the component to page layouts in the Lightning App Builder to let users see Quip documents and spreadsheets attached to a record, all within the Salesforce mobile app. Available for Quip for Salesforce
- Log Calls from Quip Documents: Team members can collaborate and log calls in Salesforce all within Quip. Now they can keep the conversation going in Quip while reporting their progress back to Salesforce. Available for Quip for Salesforce
- Update Your Salesforce List Views from Quip: Seamlessly add list views from Salesforce to a Quip document with the Salesforce List View live app. Keep lists current, share next steps, and add notes to the list or an individual item so your team is always up-to-date and ready to collaborate. Available for Quip for Salesforce
- Add Salesforce Reports to Quip Documents: Insert live Salesforce reports into Quip documents with a simple @mention. Your reports embed within a Quip spreadsheet and auto-refresh with the latest report data so you can stop worrying about formulas and stay focused on business. Available for Quip for Salesforce
- Share Quip Documents Embedded on a Record Automatically with Synced Permissions (Granular Permissions): Simplify document sharing within a Salesforce record with synced Salesforce record sharing permissions. Set permissions for your documents, such as View Only, Can Comment, or Can Comment and Edit, at the org level. Users that can access a record can now easily open any embedded Quip documents at the level set—no more worrying about manually granting access to each document. Available for Quip for Salesforce
- See Linked Salesforce Records from a Quip Document: Navigate effortlessly between a Quip document and its related record in Salesforce. Users can quickly jump to a record in Salesforce from its associated document in Quip so they can keep on top of their deals and notes at the same time. Available for Quip for Salesforce
- Publish Einstein Analytics Dashboards and Lenses to Quip Slides: Collaborate in Quip with exported images of Einstein Analytics lenses, widgets, and entire dashboards. The Analytics Share dialog now has an Export to Quip tab and a Connect to Quip button. Quip publishes each snapshot image to a new Quip slide deck. After publishing an Analytics snapshot, Quip users with document access can view the data in the image. Available for Quip for Salesforce
Update Quip Slides and Spreadsheets Automatically with Processes and Flows: Standardize presentations, automate repetitive slide deck generation, and keep data up-to-date with new Quip actions in Process Builder and Flow Builder. Create a process or flow to automatically update your spreadsheets, add content to your slide decks, and save your team time. Available for Quip for Salesforce
Quip Shield: Advanced security features that help enhance trust, transparency, compliance, and governance for the most security-conscious organizations. Contact Sales for more information.
- Enterprise Key Management (EKM): Create, manage, and control access to your own encryption keys. Maintain full visibility into all key usage in an unchangeable audit log and respond to potential threats by granularly revoking access to your encrypted data at any time.
- Event Monitoring: Real-time event logging readily ingested by Security Information and Event Monitoring (SIEM) systems and Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASB). Monitor for malicious activity, surface threats as soon as possible, and take immediate action.
- Antivirus Scanning: Automatically scan files uploaded to Quip for malicious content. Help guard your business-critical data against known and unknown threats by preventing users from downloading potentially infected files.
Versions: Web, Windows 5.13.0, Mac 5.5.42, iOS 5.5.10, Android 5.5.9
- Create an IP range allowlist: Control access to Quip by limiting member logins to a specific set of trusted IP addresses. For Quip Enterprise and Quip for Salesforce.
- More ways to add line breaks to spreadsheet cells: For a while now, you’ve been able to put line breaks in spreadsheet cells by hitting Option + Return (Mac) or Alt + Enter (Windows). As of this release, you can also use ⌘ + Return (Mac) and Ctrl + Enter (Windows). For Web, Mac, and Windows
Versions: Web, Windows 5.12.1, Mac 5.5.38
We’ve spruced up the admin console, which includes reorganizing the options to make finding functionality easier, and releasing a variety of security controls to keep your users and company safe. Changes include:
- Reorganized admin console: We’ve reorganized where some settings live on the main navigation panel, so it’s easier to find what you’re looking for.
- Improved lookup member flow: Search for site members by name, as well as by email in the Site Members tab. Try out partial name matches too; search “Ben” to find “Benjamin Snow”, “Megha Benson”, and “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
- Redesigned billing page: Find billing information more easily on our redesigned billing page, including the ability to see how many licenses you’ve purchased.
- Admin audit log: Easily track and audit admin actions. For Quip Enterprise and Quip for Salesforce.
- Enable legal holds: Prevent all content from being deleted. Nothing changes on the members' end—they'll still be able to make edits, move documents to the trash, and change their personal information during a legal hold. Admins, however, will retain access to any deleted content until the hold is disabled. For Quip Enterprise and Quip for Salesforce.
- Disable public link-sharing: Prevent your content from being shared via a public link, while permitting your users to share directly with trusted external vendors and partners. For Quip Enterprise and Quip for Salesforce.
- Enforce mobile encryption: Require your users to have encryption enabled and set a passcode on their phones before they’re able to log into Quip or access content in the mobile app. For Quip Enterprise and Quip for Salesforce.
- Improved flow for adding and removing domains: Decide whether members of your company with those domains can sign up automatically, or if they need to request accounts. For Quip Enterprise and Quip for Salesforce.
Insights and user activity in the admin console: For Quip Admins. We now offer a view into site users, content, and activity through the new “Insights” tab in your admin console. With this new feature, we also allow you to export a CSV of your site data from the “Site Members” tab. Just click on the dropdown menu at the top-right corner of the window, then select “Export to CSV.” For Web.
Videos in documents: Upload and and play videos directly in your documents. Add videos through the “Photos & Videos” button in the toolbar, the Insert menu, or type “@video” anywhere in a document. For Web, Mac, and Windows.
Versions: Web, Windows 5.11.2, Mac 5.5.33, iOS 5.5.5, Android 5.5.7
- Always-present search filters: You no longer need to click “Advanced search” in the search dialog when you want to refine your results according to who created them, who modified them, when you last opened them, when they were created, etc. These options will now show up automatically so that you get better results and do less clicking. For Web, Mac, and Windows.
- Find text within documents on mobile: Tap the blue magnifying glass in the upper right corner to search for text in documents, spreadsheets, slides, or chat when using Quip on your phone. For iOS.
- Resize embedded table rows/columns when headers are hidden: Previously, you weren’t able to resize the rows and columns if the headers of your embedded tables were hidden. Now you can resize things as you please. Just hover your cursor over any column/row break, click, and drag. For Web, Mac, and Windows.
- Improved formula helper in spreadsheets: We tweaked the help text that appears when entering a formula in a Quip spreadsheet so that it’s easier to understand. For Web, Mac, and Windows.
- Redesigned sheet bar: The sheet bar—that’s the bar at the bottom of your spreadsheets where you can add individual worksheets—now extends to the full width of your window. You’ll now see more sheet tabs at a time, and you’ll do less scrolling. We’ve also moved the add-sheet button over to the left to make room for this improvement. For Web, Mac, and Windows.
- We moved the comment bubble: To avoid confusion with the document conversation, we moved the toolbar comment button away from the far-right side towards the toolbar. For Web, Mac, and Windows.
Versions: Web, Windows 5.10.1, Mac 5.5.29